With another year gone by, it may be time to paint your garage door. Whether you are painting over your current garage door or buying a new door with a different color, make sure it’s a color you really want. Purchase small samples of several different colors, test them out and see what you prefer. You can also drive around the neighborhood and see what other people are doing with their door colors. Doing this will help you come up with different ideas.
Before You Start
After you choose the color or colors you want, make sure you start with a clean surface. Take a sponge or cloth and make sure your garage is free of dust and debris. This is a very important step because you do not want all of the dirt mixed in with the paint. Use a sanding sponge to even out any spots, where necessary.
Here are a few tips from your garage door experts at Overhead Door:
- Try our Garage Door Designer: com/access-our-design-center-now. Simply upload a photo of your current garage door and play with different colors and designs. This will help you see exactly what your garage door can look like.
- Head over to the paint department. There are many different brands of paint out there. Speak with a paint professional at a hardware store before making a purchase. He or she might recommend a certain type of exterior paint that will keep longer, considering you’re painting something that will have to withstand the weather. Keep in mind that you want to use a primer first or a paint that has primer mixed in with it.
- Garage color should complement the home. You might try pulling a color from the outside of your house. Perhaps part of your home is brick and you can pull in a color from there. A nice accent color can really make the home pop. Test the color on the door before you paint all of it, just like you would inside or outside the home.
- Use more than one color of paint to add dimension. There are many different ways that you can paint your garage. Some people use multiple colors or just a single color. Many garages have panels. Painting the panel interior a different color as the rest of the garage can offer a three-dimensional look.
- Call us for help. If you are not in the mood to paint your garage, you can always replace it with a new or updated door from overhead door. We offer several different looks and can help you pick exactly what you want. Upgrading your garage door is not a bad idea and can offer a big facelift to your home.
It might seem like a hard task. Picking the perfect paint color and painting your outside garage door is not as bad as you might think. Once finished, you will understand how important it is to have a beautiful garage door.